The hilltop castle is considered the ancestral seat of the Gundelfingen free aristocracy. This family has been known since the 12th century. Swigger IV von Gundelfingen (about 1160-1228) is a possible builder of the castle.
The remains of the keep made of hump ashlars date from the beginning of the 13th century. The construction of the high-quality masonry here coincides with the heyday of the noble family. The castle was first mentioned in a document in 1236.